Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Dr. Ramen

Okay, so this isn't a recipe in the strictest sense, but I'm writing this down because I think I've found my new favorite way to doctor ramen noodles for when I'm too lazy to cook an actual dinner.

Ingredients:
- 1 package of the ramen of your choice (I used Maruchan, chicken flavor)
- 1 cup of frozen spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 dash of fish sauce to taste (You can find this in the "Asian" section of your local supermarket- be warned, it's pretty potent! I normally use it for stir fry marinades)
- 2 cups of water

Procedure:
1. Heat the water in a small sauce pan. Once it has started to boil, add the noodles.
2. Once the noodles have softened halfway, add the frozen spinach. Continue cooking until the noodles are fully soft.
3. Pour out half of the water, being careful not to let any spinach or noodles drain with it, and add the bouillon packet that comes with the ramen to the sauce pan.
4. Sprinkle your red pepper flakes and garlic powder into the ramen.
5. Pour in your fish sauce into the ramen. I ended up using about a tablespoon, but you can use less or more depending on how you like it.
6. Crack open your large egg into your sauce pan, or into a small bowl which you then add to the ramen, and whisk into your ramen with a fork until it has taken on the appearance of egg drop soup.
7. Enjoy!

This is a fast way to make ramen just the slightest bit more healthy, and you can add other vegetables to this if you wish (I think mushrooms or carrots would be a great addition). Plus it's a fast meal that's spicy, savory, and warm, which are my three favorite things for fall/winter dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment